Waterbury Center, VT 05677
Park Updates & Alerts
- Waterbury Center State Park has reopened, but it got hit hard by high water and is still recovering. There will be access to the water via a path; however, a large portion of the lawn is temporarily closed off for revegetation.
- Check for beach closures and latest swimwater test results for this location.
- Firewood is not to be brought to parks UNLESS the wood is packaged, labeled as having been heat treated, and certified by USDA or the appropriate state department of agriculture. For more info, click here.
Take exit 10 from I-89, continue on 100 N for 3 miles. Turn onto Reservoir Road and continue for .04 miles.
Waterbury Center State Park lies on the easterly trivium of Waterbury Reservoir, a quarter mile off VT Route 100. It is an integral recreation resource in Central Vermont and one of the newer park facilities within Mount Mansfield State Forest. The Reservoir is the ninth largest body of water in the state of Vermont and was created in the 1930's by the CCC as a flood control project to protect towns and villages along the Winooski River Valley. From late spring to early fall the Reservoir is maintained to a surface area of 850 acres and has a maximum depth of 100 feet. To prepare for normal spring snow melt and runoff, the surface area is reduced to between 415 - 610 acres throughout the winter. The designed flood control capacity of Waterbury Reservoir is approximately 9,000,000,000 gallons.
Waterbury Reservoir is also a great place to fish.
The park is located on a 90-acre peninsula and contains:
- 17 picnic sites
- 27 remote paddle-to campsites (see map)
- picnic tables
- charcoal grills
- a swimming beach
- a nature trail
- trailer boat ramp
- boat rentals- available until Labor Day
A new, universally accessible trail was constructed in 2010 that includes two accessible fishing platforms.
There are a number of remote camping sites located along the reservoir, available on a first-come first-serve basis. Please call Little River State Park for more information on remote camping on the Waterbury Reservoir.