Park Updates & Alerts
- The public comment period for Camel's Hump Management Unit draft plan has been re-opened, and is accepting additional comments through Friday, April 13th, 2018. Please submit comments via email to ANRCamelsHumpComments@vermont.gov or through the mail to the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation, 111 West Street, Essex Junction, VT 05452-4695.
Waubanaukee Indians first named it "Tah-wak-be-dee-ee-wadso" or Saddle Mountain. Samuel de Champlain's explorers in the 1600's called it "lion couchant" or resting lion. The name "Camel's Rump" was used on a historical map by Ira Allen in 1798, and this became "Camel's Hump" in 1830.
The park came about as an original gift of 1000 acres including the summit from Colonel Joseph Battell, who originally bought Camel's Hump to preserve the wooded mountainous view from his home. In 1911, care of the mountain was entrusted to the State Forester who managed with the aim to keep it in a primitive state according to Battell's wish.
The State of Vermont eventually adopted a policy of development regulation on all state forest lands to preserve aesthetic values. It fought proposed intrusions by communications towers and ski resorts until the summit's Natural Area was set aside; then special legislation was passed in 1969 to create a Forest Reserve whose state-owned acres (about 20,000 by 1991) form Camel's Hump State Park.
Parking: There are designated parking areas at trail heads on Camel's Hump Road on both sides of the mountain. Also, there are parking areas along River Road in Duxbury for the Long Trail.
Please obey local traffic laws. Children and families live on the roads that lead to our trailheads. It is important that visitors respect these communities by driving safely and slowly.
From the Duxbury side: The Monroe Trail is somewhat challenging, but there's also an accessible loop with its own parking area. This loop is 8/10 of a mile long, is wide and flat, and has three viewing spots to the summit of Camel's Hump - it's perfect for small kids and elders.
From the Huntington side: The Burrows Trail is a bit shorter and attracts lots of hikers. Always a good idea to get there early (8AM) on a good weather weekend day to get parked and on the trail.
Hiking with groups: If you are hiking with 10 or more people or charging fees, or publicizing the event, you will need to apply for a Special Use Permit. Learn more about permits here >>
Hiking during spring season: Trails close when snow begins melting and open the weekend before Memorial Day. Even then, if the trails are very wet and muddy it's best to stay off them - use your best judgment. Alternatives until then: Honey Hollow Road in Bolton, forest roads in the Camel's Hump area, or the CCC road at Underhill State Park.
Primitive camping is allowed only in the lower elevations and away from trails, roads, and water, in accordance with the state primitive camping guidelines. Otherwise, overnight camping is permitted only in Green Mountain Club shelters and lodges, and at Hump Brook Tenting Area. Shelters and lodges are supervised by GMC from May to October with a nominal fee for overnight use. There is a 2-night limit. The shelters are open year-round, and reservations are not accepted. Open fires are permitted only in tent platform fire rings and in designated primitive camping areas. Camping facilities are also available at nearby Little River State Park.